Fixing joists after chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Now that my chimney breasts are removed I will be sorting joists out.

Here are the pics to give you an idea.

Any pointers would be appreciated

With this one I am thinking of removing 3x2 and replacing with 7x3 (pink) and then another 7x3 on wall. Then will add several 3x2 (orange) in between perpendicular. The current joists measure 7x2.5 but I'm assuming 7x3 should be ok.

IMG_20190718_172508.jpg

something like this

IMG_20190719_145509.jpg

Additional joist willgo perpendicular from joist on left to neighbours joist on right. I will also tie in to strengthen joist.
IMG_20190718_172529.jpg

Something like this

IMG_20190719_145757.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Seems ok plan , with the joist in last pic you could sister the cut joist and run into joist hanger on wall .

I see. the sister joist to wall hanger for the last one makes more sense.

I am planning on screwing the joists to one another with 4 inch screws. Would that be ok or should I use timber hangers?

Also any suggestions on which bolts to use to secure joist to wall in first pic?

I'm also thinking of using 7x2 as it's only a small area that needs doing and 7x3 may not be necessary. (old joists are 7x2.5)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you Mr Foxhole.

Just one final question if you don't mind.

Is it necessary to bolt the joist onto the wall (referring to first pic)

Or can I just screw in from inside the two adjacent joists? (Similar to how one would so with noggins)

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you Mr Foxhole.

Just one final question if you don't mind.

Is it necessary to bolt the joist onto the wall (referring to first pic)

Or can I just screw in from inside the two adjacent joists? (Similar to how one would so with noggins)

Cheers
I would just screw , easier to keep the timber square as wall maybe our a little .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back