Chimney breast removal and joists exposured

Sponsored Links
Why put full-length joists in? why not just fill in the void with shorter pieces?
Chimney and Trimmer.png

The principle problem I can see with doing that in this instance is that the gap between the trimmer and the masonry wall is very narrow - in fact it looks too narrow to get a drill in there to make perpendicular holes in the masonry (in order to fix a ledger). As to chopping out pockets in the masonry (to take joist ends) or even hammering twist nails into joist hangers you'd ideally need to use on the trimmer - both are going to be difficult. I'd be a bit wary about putting in another joist paralle to the existing trimmer, but I suppose that could be OK gioven that the length isn't too long.

However, another photo shows joist ends minus trimmers:

Joist Ends Minus Trimmers.jpg

which would surely indicate that short sistered joists, bolted together with at least a 1m overlay would do the job, wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back