Fixing old door into new stud wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix an old Victorian door which I have kept into a new stud wall I will be building but am just trying to learn the best way to go about it....

I have removed all the old architrave. Do I just need to measure the old door lining and buy a new door lining kit? Then build a frame in my stud wall for door lining to fix to?

Sponsored Links
Measure the door, old lining may not have been a good fit, then frame and add lining.

You can get 4 and a 1|4 inch and 5 and 1|4 linings you will need to measure the width of your stud wall with plasterboard and 3mm skim to both sides to work out which size suits.

Measure height of door and width today's doors measure 1981mm x 2`3 or 2`6 or 2`9" and today's linings are produced for these sizes. If your Victorian door is 2046mm then you will need to buy some PAR softwood and make the lining yourself.

Once you have assembled the lining to suit your door then you will know what size opening to form in your stud wall.

Ok - I'll measure my door tomorrow and come back to you to establish what size door lining I need. I can then but that, construct it and then I'll know what size frame to build in my stud wall as you say.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No that's fine you need a standard 2 foot 6 inch lining also doubles up as 2 foot 3 inch door lining. If you install it full height, 80 inches, then you will end up with a 2mm gap between the top of the door and lining and 9mm bottom of door and floor. For carpet you need 17mm or so. You will also need to shoot the door to the frame if its slightly to wide.

Also what depth will my door lining need to be? ...I'm using 4x2 stud work and I understand that my door lining will need to be more or less flush with the plasterboard and plaster. So if allow 15mm each side if the stud wall for plasterboard and plaster plus the width of the stud wall what depth liner will I need?

I've calculated the liner will need to be sonewhere between 120mm and 130mm deep. Am I making sense?

Thanks - I've just realised my question has ajready been answered by you. If I'm using 4x2 and 12mm plasterboard I'll need a 5 & 1/4 inch liner. And the one which is 1981 x 762 in size.

When building the frame for the door lining to fix to do you think I'm better making the frame to fit the door lining as it is and then as you say if the door is a little narrow shooting it to the liner ( not exactly sure what you mean here)

Or am I better off cutting the jambs and header of the lining down abit to suit the door?

Sorry miss read your width measurement, yes reduce the lining to suit the door but allow about 2mm either side of the door when reducing your lining. What you need to watch out for is the door itself may not be cut square, it may have been shot into an out of square lining to start with.

"Shoot in, shot in" is a Carpenters term for making the door fit the aperture it is going into by planing it or cutting it where necessary.

If you reduce the height of the lining you will probably end up having to cut the bottom of the door if you have carpet.

Thank you once again, I've decided to go with 3x2 and a 4 1/4 inch lining. I'll trim the width if the lining and keep height the same.

I think in sorted now and have a good idea how to go about this thanks to all your help. I'll report back on hopefully a successful project

Chirpychippy and foxhole

I just wanted to thank you, I have now built stud wall and fitted door liner. I am now just getting my old door stripped before I attempt to hang it but I'm happy with how my 1st attempt at doing this has gone so far.

Still got to figure out the best way to fix my broken step now on staircase

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back