Fixing Picture aquarium to stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Picture Aquarium which we are hoping to fix to our wall.

The wall is plasterboard with studs at 600mm

The tank is 700mm x 33mm x 95mm and sits inside a mock picture frame box. An online calculator puts the weight of the water when full at 22Kg (+weight of glass)

The box has brackets at the base which I will move outwards to fit our 600mm stud wall.

I will also drill holes in the top of the frame to allow me to fix into the studs at the top of the frame so that will be 3 fixings into each stud (two in each bottom bracket and one at the top)

Will this be enough to support the tank or am I in danger of ripping the wall down and never ever living it down and being banned from doing any more DIY for life?

Would additional fixings into the plasterboard with those expanding metal things be worthwhile or would that just put stress on the board rather than the stud?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm looking to fix this to the wall in the next couple of days. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back