Fixing plaster-in downlights ready for plasterers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a load of downlights that are to be plastered in to fit. They won't all be next to a joist above, and they don't have the spring clips, just a plastic section that gets plasterered over.

What's the best way to secure them for plastering? I'm thinking of a bit of Sticks Like Sh1t, and a few staples?

These are the lights: https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/product/22187

1706308104755.png
1706308104755.png
Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Small 20mm x 3mm screws will hold to ceiling while its plastered, don’t use a cordless just screw in by hand unless you have one of those very little low torque power drivers to screw gently into plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Small 20mm x 3mm screws will hold to ceiling while its plastered, don’t use a cordless just screw in by hand unless you have one of those very little low torque power drivers to screw gently into plasterboard.

I have 4x20 and 3.5x16, so I'll see what works best. This has been very helpful, thank you. Would you go with a bit of Sticks Like behind the frame too?

I would use a few dabs of super glue. I would also cover the central bit with masking tape just before they get plastered in.
And if/when they go phut can you change just the lamp?

Edit.. Just looked at the Mr resistor site and found this
https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/product/20806 that takes 60 lamps at £18 each! Just as well that we now have led lamps as the spec says it can take 60x40w lamps. I would like to pay the elec bill to have that on for more than a few minutes each day! And at 2400w it would need a separate cct just for that one fitting!

Last edited:
Use a Polymer like CT1 or sticks like xxxx.

I used loads over the years to fix corner beading ect. Was my preferred method having tried super glue, hot glue gun, nails ect...Can also use a staple gun along with polymer if you have one.
Everbuild stixall will do it

3 screws in board in the 3 edge holes although not that clear in the instructions

I'd still stick on myself

Thanks all,

Think Ill try a bit of polymer adhesive (Got a tube of stixall in stock), and 3x 4x20mm screws, and see how I go. 19 of them to fit in the next few days.

I would use a few dabs of super glue. I would also cover the central bit with masking tape just before they get plastered in.
And if/when they go phut can you change just the lamp?

They have a clear plastic bit already in place to protect against plasterers.

You can remove the lamp from below using a suction cup. Looks a bit of a faff, but hopefully years between needing to do it.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back