Fixing plastic back box to damaged plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently had my house rewired, and following this, a plasterer worked throughout, skimming in some areas, and others fixing dry walling.

In one location, he relocated a hole for the socket with the wires hanging for me to install a plastic back box (with retaining clips).

However, he cut the hole perilously close to the vertical timber behind the stud wall, so I've had to chip out some of the timber to allow the clip on the back box to slide back to lock behind the plasterboard.

Unfortunately, some of the plasterboard surrounding the hole is damaged, and the clip can't get a good fixing to this - can anyone suggest a quick way to offer some support to this inside the wall to allow the back box to clip in with a solid fix?

Someone has suggested mastic-ing some plastic glazing packers (2mm thick plastic) inside to give some support.

Any ideas please!

Sponsored Links
If it is beside a timber then just whack a woodscrew through the side of the plastic backbox into the timber and use the clip on the other side.

You might have to remove some of the clip plastic to be able to still use the screw thread, but it depends on the box.

That's a great suggestion!, thank you.

Only problem I can forsee is getting inside the hole enough to get a screw into the wood - I have an electric driver but not sure it will fit!

O course it will, just screw it in at an angle. Drill an angled hole in the side clip and screw through into the stud, That'lll hold one side and the normal clip will hold the other.

Its a regular occurance round my way!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back