Fixing back boxes to blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having taken plasterboard off a few walls I’ve got some 25mm back boxes that need re attaching to the block walls and the cables tacking down before the plastered dot and dab new boards to the walls and skim.

With them being aerated blocks they are a nightmare to plug and screw and worse to knock cables clips into!

Any tips/suggestions on how to get them to stay?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah- you can use builders band (use the plastic coated rather than plain galvanised, lower risk of nipping outer sheath) or plastic capping if you've got loads of cables

Sponsored Links
Screws. No plugs or drilling holes, just the screws directly into the block.
Correct.
I keep a box of 1 1/2"x10 twinthread screws for the purpose. Very coarse thread that doesn't tend to drill a hole like a finer thread, they just screw into the block.

Why is it a problem to drill, plug and screw aerated blocks???
It's not a problem, but I, and at least one other have found it better and easier to not do so. If the screw is over tightened and the thread in the block is stripped then tap a rawlplug into the resulting hole with a hammer.

I'm lost; why not use plugs and screws?

Sometimes one should drill the hole with the drill off-hammer action.

Would that solve the problem?

Why would anyone want to fit a screw directly into blockwork? Rubbish way to do things.

Surely the reason for using plugs is when you can't screw directly into a material.

If you can - then...

Last edited:
I don't understand the problem, I've just clicked on the link in my post and arrived at this:
upload_2018-10-3_15-22-2.png

It works for me. Seems to get referred to Screwfix via some other URL. Perhaps some kind of traffic counter.

I've set some referral sites to "insecure," but not that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back