Fixing replacement wooden door sill..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, door cill on wooden lean to has had it.

152000_151133_67676_52522896_thumb.jpg

searching around, I found jewsons have a hardwood cill in.

my questions
- any particular way to fix it in place? glue, sealant or other?
- the old cill was not rectangular, and had each end protrude further than the door width, do I need to cut this into the replacement cill for any reason?
- how best to protect the wood - varnish, danish oil, just paint it white?

- also, as from this pic, the bottom of the frame and door was also rotten. if patching up the wood at the bottom of the frame, do I just do some vertical 2 x 2 or do i need to splice it in at 45 degs or something?

152000_151133_67677_63387480_thumb.jpg

152000_151133_67678_65570318_thumb.jpg

thanks in advance.. :)

Sponsored Links
New frame and door. The new will need the sill trimming to fit as the previous was 'built in' at time of construction.

Whilst i admire the O.P.'s enthusiasm in renovating this tired door, the vulnerable location means that a lot of time could be spent on a pointless exercise. It takes a lot of care and effort to achieve a reliable lasting repair

You may extend the life of the door by only a small amount and could end up being very disappointed.

Are you in a conservation area?

Sponsored Links
weigh up your time to do it,plus the materials.

personally as others have said,fit a new frame and door.

thanks all for the responses so far.

I should have added more context in my original mail.

We hope to move house, we've had an offer, trouble is I have just lost my job, so whilst we have lots of money in the bank, no one will give us a mortgage, so we cannot accept the offer.

so really, I am doing patch up jobs around the house to help it sell.

here's the lean to in all it's glory...

152000_151133_67705_57762080_thumb.jpg

152000_151133_67706_79229856_thumb.jpg

I think the frame is quite structural, and taking it out risks the whole thing collapsing.
we've considered tearing it all down.
We've had a quote for a proper lean to 3m x 1m, it was £7K.

so, this really does just need to stop the wind coming in over winter....

My wife does accuse me of being too conscientious in my diy, doing everything properly, taking everything back to scratch and re-done.... in this instance... I am really just botching it... hence the questions..

really can't justify £100+ on a new door. can justify £20 on a cill, as don't have any other way of filling that gap.

so, any suggestions on approach?

thanks.

noseal.
front of the house is in conservation zone ie. the road. back of the house isn't. house is full of sash windows, and unlike rest of street, I've kept mine and not gone upvc (didn't realise they were allowed to go upvc).

We don't plan on living here in 6 months, so this is really jsut to get us to next spring /summer.
am not trying to hide things from next owners, just realise some might knock it down, some might build the side return, etc...
:)

in that case then,

take door off and replace any timber necessary,would think you dont need any help with that 1?

as for the cill.
cut the tennons off on the frame and offer the cill in.
if its all ok.prime said cill and let it dry.
once dry offer it back in using poly glue,wedge the cill up.and using long screws,skew then through the frame into the cill,depending on how good the frame is you might have to pre drill them.

i know im off the original point here but 7k sounds dear for a 3 x 1 lean too, it could be done a lot cheaper with a glass lean too roof IMO, just saying :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back