B

BR_1

I received a quotation from a roofer which stated the old removed ridge tiles would be mechanically fixed to a fitted timber along the ridge line, with the tiles being rebedded in with a 3:1 mortar mix. Any broken tiles would be replaced.

However, when the workman were carrying out works they screwed the ridge tiles directly onto the ridge board passing through the roofing felt.

Should I be concerned they have screwed through the roofing felt through to the ridge board and not onto a fitted timber which the quotation said would also be fitted?

Also does this comply with BS-5534

Thank you palaceray for your reply!

Sponsored Links
without stripping ridge to check the finished height of the existing ridge board they wouldn't know what timber they may need to fit.
probably your ridge board is set high and maybe the roof pitch made it not necessary to fit additional timber.
how do you think additional timbers are fixed?..... Screwed, Nailed and strapped through the underlay....

Is it common about 5 days after ridge tiles have been rebed that gaps should be appearing between some of the tiles and mortar?

Sponsored Links
There is no mortar left on ridge tile casting a shadow - plus the gap is also visible from the other side of the tile.

Attachments

• RidgeTile.JPG
    RidgeTile.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 256
Cheers palaceray and datarebal - is there a common cause for mortar not to bond to the tile and slump away? What should I expect from the installer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back