Fixing shed lean to against a brick wall - how to seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1.4m wide passageway down the side of the house which is unusable as an open space. It has a blocked end so I want to put a sloping roof from the wall to the fence (10cm drop in 1.4m) and use it as a shed.

The side wall, side and end fence could make 3 sides of the shed so I just need a front ( with a door) and a roof.

I wanted to know how best to seal the roof to the wall - is it sufficient to use flashing tape stuck to the wall or does this need to be channeled into a brick course (which I have never done).

If I were to put a self standing shed I would loose to much space and this seels the best solution.

Baton on the wall, chipboard rood with roofing felt and sealed with flashing. Is tacking the roofing felt still the best solution?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you'll be redirecting the rain from your roof into next door. Strictly speaking that's classed as nuisance.

I'd hope to drop the roof just short of the fence into some guttering to take the water away. Wouldn't want to cause a problem.

Biggest concern is sealing roof against the wall

Sponsored Links
i have sticky flashing along my carport roof... easy and effective... you just paint on the sticky stuff, and stick on the flashing. Just keep your eye on it in a few years... but you can rip it off and start again if you need to.

I have also put lead flashing on an apex conservatory roof. Not as easy to do, but fairly easy. For your roof, it's be easier because you are horizontal. Just whizz along with an angle grinder to remove the mortar, push in the lead, and fill in the gap with fresh mortar or external frame sealant.
Just one consideration is the need to work on the roof to fit the flashing, so make sure the roof is strong enough, or get so scaffolding?

(but i am a DIYer, so wait for the pro's to respond before you start work!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back