Fixing size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be fitting some T&G v-groove profile to a ceiling.
I’ll buy the 25mm thick product, so should be about 19mm finished thickness.

The ceiling is 400 c/s joists on a timber outbuilding.

Will 16G nails from a Finish nailer be OK for the job, thinking 63mm Brad nails .. (stainless if I can get them) or should I use 63 for edges and 50 for nailing the tongue

Sponsored Links
16 ga will be OK (15 ga would be better, but not many people have the guns), stainless is deffo better in an unheated building, 50mm should do for the lot - I really don't see you getting any advantage from using 63mm nails but they will be more expensive and depending on the gun, a little more awkward (more difficult to sink with some guns). Providing the T&G isn't too wide you will be OK with a single secret nail through the tongue, although I'd probably go belt and braces and put a bead of polymer adhesive on the underside of the joists as well

I can easily put the glue in place,
Would 2 brads in horizontal surface be better …. Was just thinking about ‘secret nailing’ but don’t have to use it.

Sponsored Links
Your last row only will require a second nail through the face to hold it in place. If you box clever you'll install the ceiling first, then clad the walls - the wall cladding being used to hide the last row if nails.

As to length, you are nailing through a tongue, or about 12mm of material, so allowing for a 45 degree angle you'll end up with about 17mm of pin in the T&G and 46mm (or about 33mm vertical depth from the face of the substrate). If you were going onto, say, 2 x 1 laths with wiring above it you might pierce the wiring. So it's worth not shoving the longest nail into the gun automatically. You'll also find that 63s in stainless are mire expensive than 50s

Guys ..... related Q ...... is there any benefit to using 100 mm wide (95 finished) compared to 125 wide (119 finished)
I thought first off using 125 wide would be a better choice .....

It's being run as panels 2 are 750mm wide and 2 are 1.08 wide ..... all are about 3.5m long
Your last row only will require a second nail through the face to hold it in place. If you box clever you'll install the ceiling first, then clad the walls - the wall cladding being used to hide the last row if nails.

As to length, you are nailing through a tongue, or about 12mm of material, so allowing for a 45 degree angle you'll end up with about 17mm of pin in the T&G and 46mm (or about 33mm vertical depth from the face of the substrate). If you were going onto, say, 2 x 1 laths with wiring above it you might pierce the wiring. So it's worth not shoving the longest nail into the gun automatically. You'll also find that 63s in stainless are mire expensive than 50s
There are no walls ... well there is one and that is glass.
Point taken on 50mm

There are no walls ... well there is one and that is glass.
You might still want to consider running a narrow flat bead or lath (sawn down T&G) around the perimeter, planted on top. This will hide your last row of nails, in addition taking away the need to cut every T&G absolutely perfectly, but does require you to cut 4 decent mitres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back