making garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, some thoughts please, I want to make some new garage doors my neighbour is making some from 25mm (20mm finished) thick tongue & groove, he is putting his timber horizon'tal, groove down tongue up, every door I see is made with t&g vertical, his does look different but will it work. Also the finished timber thickness 20mm seems a bit thick and heavy any thoughts please, Reg

Sponsored Links
every door I see is made with t&g vertical, his does look different but will it work.
No. The reason that every door you'll ever normally see has the joints either vertical or at an angle (diagonals or Veed in some cases) is because water won't get trapped; gravity makes it run off. Horizontal joints will tend to trap water and dirt more and will consequently rot-out faster.

Mind you that's just my opinion.....

Hi JobAndKnock, thanks for that I felt the same but good to hear it from others, how do you feel about the thickness and therefore the weight over 2 doors overall size 7 toot high x 8 foot wide, Reg

If you go much thinner you just won't have enough security in them to withstand a kicking. My experience has been that thicker T&G is often framed onto a rebated frame - in a style called framed, ledged and braced (seen front and rear views):

FramedLedgedandBraced2_zps6338b745.jpeg

Note that the planks shoot to the bottom of the door - so no water traps. A pair done this way, from behind only:

FramedLedgedandBraced1_zps59be3bd9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi JobAndKnock, thanks for that and all your advice I wont be going horizontal, Reg

once your neighbours have rotted out,then you can make him a new pair JUST like yours for A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY just to teach him a lesson on how to be stupid and waste money.

Hi freddymercurystwin, ya I agree on the internet you find them from £300 and up to £1179 (gold plated I should think), I can make them myself for about £150 just a bit of time and effort, If money was no object I would have them supplied and fitted, unfortunately that's not an option, so at 75 I will have to take advice and make them myself, but thanks, Reg

You've given yourself an almighty task there Reg (unless you have loads of bench space to make them on).....have you seen what Howdens have on offer?
Trade only I'm afraid but its sometimes possible to get around that.
John :)

Hi foxhole, it will cost me more than that for the timber, how long ago did you get them and where from? if you don't mind me asking. Reg

Hi foxhole, it will cost me more than that for the timber, how long ago did you get them and where from? if you don't mind me asking. Reg
My local supplier closed down, but ebay can be useful, see my link in previous post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back