Making Driveway Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that the block paved drive is finished I'm going to make a pair of 6ft x 4.5ft driveway gates and wondering what size of timber to use. Each gate will have a Z frame and a t&g cladding.

Should the Z frame top and bottom pieces be at the extreme top & bottom or set up from the bottom of the gate by a few inches (which is where the old gates have rotted) so I'd like to avoid that again if possible. The Z frame gives the door its strength so what are the ideal timber sizes for the Z frame, is it better for them to be wide & thinnish or narrower & thick to provide that strength.

What is the ideal thickness of the t&g cladding, is 15mm thick enough or does it not matter if thinner boards are used.

I was thinking of using Screwfix stainless screws to put it all together, I haven't got a nail gun but should I consider a nail gun and ribbed nails ?

I was considering making it all out of Tanalised wood, but then when I cut the Z frame pieces to size the ends would need treating, or should I just use untreated wood and apply a treatment to the gates when its all finished.

I believe painting drive gates with undercoat & gloss is not recommended these days so what treatment would you recommend ?

many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back