Fixing to stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise which are the best types of fixings to use for permanently fixing things to a timber stud walls faced with plasterboard and skim. I need to fix a handrail to the side of our stairs and i'm not sure which fixings to use, i've seen two types - 'spring toggles' and a 'plastic' wall plug designed for use on plaster board walls. I'm not sure which of these would be best, or if there is something else which are better than both?

I will be trying to fix into the timber studs if I can, but the positions of the handrails are fixed so I cannot guarantee there being a stud where I need to screw the brackets to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Best way is to fix a length of timber to the wall, 3x1 PSE painted to either match the wall or the handrail. You can screw that into the studs, some construction adhesive (gripfill/sticks like/no more nails etc) wouldn't hurt either.

All fixings have to be in the stud work as the leverage on a hand rail will rip out anything fixed just to plasterboard.You also risk breaking your neck should it fail.

Sponsored Links
alumni - they're no good for my situation, they're for fixing into the masonry of wall that has been dry-lined - i'm fixing to a timber stud wall so no matter how long, or what type of fixing i use i'll never get to fix into masonry!!

I'm intending to fix timber patresses to the wall in the location of the handrail brackets and then screw the brackets to those pattresses - will the pattresses help reduce the leverage on the wall and therefore ease the problem?

I can possibly get to the inside of the wall to place a piece of PSE timber within the wall cavity and then screw through the plasterboard into this - would this help the situation? Or would it offer little help unless this piece of timber on ths inside was physically fixed to the frame work of the wall?

I can't see the missus being happy with a piece of 3x1 fixed to the wall, to then fix the patresses to and then the brackets to them!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back