Fixing types for studding onto block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting the garage conversion underway at last. Seen the building Regs inspector and he has specified 50mm insulation on the wall that meets my neighbour's garage wall, with 50mm Kingspan/Celotex between studwork.
Same on wall that meets the kitchen (on the other side), buut only 25mm thickness required.

Would you do attach the studs with hammer fixings through the stud and wall, or would a high quality brown rawlplug do it e.g 35mm long, drilled and pressed flush into the blockwork and then the studwork is screwed through the wood and into the rawlplug (say using an 85mm screw so that it penetrates to the end of the rawlplug in the wall from the front face of the studding. Will this be secure enough to secure 50mm studding and plasterboard (then a thin skim of plaster) on top, with a rawl plug at every 600mm on height for every 450mm centre stud stud? Celotex boards cut at 1200 x 400 inserted in the stud gaps.

Would you insist on PAR for the studding or is that a waste over using sawn if the sawn wood is straight? I can't see sawn being so rough on the surface for a plasterboard not to screw squarely too it, although you'll probably get more banana shaped lengths with sawn than PAR I would imagine.

Just wanting to ensure i'm not massively over engineering if I don't need to incur the extra cost.

Thanks in advance for your time in replying.

Sponsored Links
Fix a top rail and a bottom rail (50mm x 50mm cls) and two end rails. Use 100mm screws and brown plugs aboot 800mm apart.

Fill in 50mm x 50mm cls upright battens at 400mm c/c between rails. Skew screw into top and bottom rail then use say three more 100mm inbetween.

Thanks Noseall! I will do exactly that! As for wood type would you use PAR or sawn or does it not matter at all (the sawn tanalised I have had in the past for doing my decking frame wasn't really rough at all)?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back