Flaking bathroom walls (another)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and yes, I know similar threads have been started before but I am still confused as to what to do and how to fix my problem.

I had a wall in a bathroom replastered as part of work in there. The decorator then painted the walls and they all packed up and left.

After a couple of months there are a number of flakey areas on the wall, some the size of a 2p, some bigger.

I have tried to rub them down, paint over with a slightly watered down mix of emulsion (own brand) to see if that makes any difference, and it hasnt.

There are still a number of areas where the paint is flaking away from the wall, and in some areas has come off completely back to the plaster.

I had read suggestions about putting pva mix, not putting pva mix on the walls, so am confused.

Any help would be appreciated (by the wife more than me)!

Paul

Sponsored Links
Scrape off the worst again...rub down around the edges and give the bare bits a coat of thinned out plaster primer or alkali resisting primer...fill..touch up and the repaint the whole wall

It might be becasue the plasterer has polished the plaster too much and/or the first coat was applied to thick.

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

Can I apply the thinned out plaster primer or alkali resisting primer to the whole wall to stop this happening again over other areas of the wall, or just those areas I have rubbed down and filled in?

Ta again

Whenever I've had this problem I've always found that oil based paints do a far better job as they are tough, flexible and waterproof. So I'd try an oil based primer if I were you. Only going on personal experience though. Oh and PVA will make it peel like crazy.

Sponsored Links
I would do the whole wall while your at it.

i all

I know there have been alot of entries about painting on newly plastered walls but my problem is a little different.

The bathroom walls were replastered last year. After a few weeks I repainted them using bathroom paint. Almost immediately after finising patches of the paint started to flake off.

I then sanded down the flakey walls, filled in the worst offending areas with some fine filler and tried again. Again, the walls started to flake.

I then covered the walls in a mix of pv glue and water, let it dry out and then repainted. Again, the paint flaked off.

What can I do now? I would try anything which will solve this problem.

Thanks for reading all.

Best bet is an oil based primer or undercoat. Your real problem is under your paint so other than scraping it all off you've just got to hope for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back