Bathroom - Flaking paint - PVA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the bathroom due to moisture when showering (and the window not being opened) a lot of the paint on the walls is flaking away revealing bare plasterboard underneath.

What should I do to prep the walls prior to painting? I have been advised to flake away any loose paint, sand down the edges where the remaining paint meets the cleared area and then paint with 1 part PVA 2 parts water.

The paint I would use afterwards would be Dulux bathroom paint.

Is this the correct thing to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Under NO circumstances use PVA. You will only make matters worse.

Sponsored Links
DON'T use PVA. Sand down, then seal the surface with Zinsser Bullseye or Bin. Then apply two coats of a suitable emulsion.

I have found Dulux bathroom paint to be very disappointing. Ditto their 'Kitchen paint'.

By far the best paint for condensation/mould-prone ceilings is Zinsser Permawhite.( If you don't want white, it can also be tinted to various colours).

But in the end, the room needs an extractor fan and it needs to be properly ventilated. Is it a rented property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back