Paint flakes/blisters on new wall boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all you experts!
I had new boards (plaster boards) put on a shower room wall, these were painted with emulsion paint a couple of years back. However, I have noticed that the paint is flaking off and coming away on certain parts of the walls.
I could be wrong, but the flaking is only on the wall boards, two walls had the boards put onto them, the other two walls were solid walls which had already been painted.
Can I sand these affected areas and re-paint, or do I need to coat the walls with any specific on the parts where they are flaking off?
Hope someone can advise me. Many thanks in anticipation. :)

Sponsored Links
If in this type of situation if you were to sand back the edges of the failing paint work there is the possibility of damaging the plasterboard.
With care scrape off any loose and flaking paint and apply one coat of drywall sealer, when dry face fill any raised areas lightly sand to achieve uniformity and again apply the sealer prior to your finish coats.

Dec

If the plaster board was not primed originally then you might have problems with re painting. I've come across this before, when you apply the emulsion by roller and the paint comes away with it. In these situations I prime the full wall with zinsser 123 by brush to seal in the paint then fill, sand and emulsion over.

I would do as thedec say's and see how it holds up.

There is no need whatsoever to go to the expense of any Zinsser product, there are a number of reasons why this problem may of occured. and when applying emulsion paint over any filled area it is imperative for the first coat to be thinned.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hi and thank you for all your kind replies!
I have had another look and not only is the paint flaking off the boards, but also on the two solid walls as well :oops:
But I should add that this is only on small patches, perhaps one or two patches over an area of 6 x 8 feet.
There is another bit above the door frame which resembles a split more than anything else. But the other areas are similar to the paint lifting up from the surface of the wallboards.
I will follow your instructions and let you know how I get on.
Many thanks again for all the info ;)

If this problem is also on the solid walls, scrape and sand all loose paintwork and either apply a thinned matt emulsion or oil based undercoat, then fill lightly sand and apply a thinned emulsion over the filler prior to your finish coats.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back