Flaking on bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have noticed in the past a small damp patch on our bathroom ceiling adjacent to the outside wall. It never got very big, so I wasn't sure if it was active or not, or caused by steam.

After a while mildew formed on it, so I treated that quite vigorously with a suitable cleaner (it took more than one attempt to kill the mildew). Having done that the ceiling paint dried and later started flaking. So I sanded the patch down to the plasterboard and covered it with BIN primer with the intention of then repainting.

Well, a few weeks passed without me ever getting around to painting and now the primer seems to be flaking off. The area doesn't look or feel damp, but I'm wondering what would cause the primer to flake and whether we have a problem?

Sponsored Links
What leaks did you find when you looked in the loft above?

How long do you run the extractor fan during and after every bath and shower?

I haven't specifically looked in the loft for any leaks. As I said - there doesn't seem to have been any dampness since the original patch formed. Which is the basis of my question as I'm not sure what would cause the primer to come away if it there doesn't seem to be any dampness.

We don't actually have an extractor fan!
We tend to open the window for a while after the bath or shower has been used.

Sponsored Links
I haven't specifically looked in the loft for any leaks.

I think you should.

The other very common cause of damp in bathrooms is condensation resulting from inadequate ventilation.

Damp is not a problem to be cured with paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back