Best way to solve a badly painted flaking kitchen ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, new to this forum,
So, I moved into a property last year and the painting on the kitchen ceiling had begun to flake really badly, I haven't got round to decorating the kitchen until now.
A contractor, scraped away the excess put a "fungiwash" on it and painted it a few months ago, it flaked again an hour after he left.
I was going to use a PVA primer adhesive, but have read on various sites not to use it...
So, What is the best way stop the ceiling flaking when I have painted over it again please help!

Sponsored Links
I've seen fungicide do that. Best bet is a thinnish coat of oil undercoat, then let it dry out for a day or two. Scrape as much as you can off though.

Personally I usually add PVA to the paint - works for me, but you need to judge it right.

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure it will work on flaky paint and if it keeps re-occuring then there might some other underlying issue causing it, but I have been using Zinssers Peel Stop on my walls.
you roll/brush it on and it stops the paint from flaking off. However, you do have to remove the lose paint first ie sand it down, but it might be worth giving your ceiling a coat of it once it's all prepped, to give a good base.
It's in a green tin and I ordered mine online.

I basically bought it for going over old paint on our internal walls that had come off in patches when removing wallpaper. It's been a godsend!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back