Flapping Felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted on this a while back but ever since been given run around by builder and roofer and not sure what to do next, we had a two storey extension done last year and ever since when windy there is a flapping noise coming from the felt, the roofer came back and trimmed the felt to edge of roof tiles but still have same problem the only difference it takes a bit more wind to create the noise and it is driving us nuts.

The builder keeps saying can't be happening as the roofer always uses trays, I couldn't see any trays and bumped into roofer on another job yesterday who said didn't use trays as the last batton was too near the edge and says only solution is to trim the felt right back or stick it to fascia, this doesn't sound right to me so would be great to get some advice as think he is just trying to bodge a fix now. I have included a couple of pictures, the guttering looks low to me compared to other roofs I have been looking at and second photo you can just see the felt hanging down, it does this on all three edges of the extension

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3350.PNG

Guess the guttering height is determined by that joins in with existing guttering and water needs to flow down to get to the downpipe in the picture - there is no way now of getting a downpipe in the old part of the house into a drain.

I still owe the builder £800 and not paying until resolved but really after a proper fix here as spent too much money already and don't want a quick fix that will come back to haunt me later,

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Loz

Sponsored Links
The felt shouldn't be exposed to the weather/sunlight.
Use a strip of DPC in place of the trays.
It may mean removing bottom few rows of tiles and batten to install it.

Thanks for reply - would DPC also flap in the wind as quite expose up there with way extension sticks out into prevailing wind and the gap top the guttering ? Guess not an easy fix to do with just ladders, there is a temptation just to cut felt back to stop flapping as the tiles are so closely knit wouldn't images water getting past but guess thi sis main concern that by simply cutting it back causing a problem further down the line.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, just been up on roof as gutter was full of moss and taken some pictures of old roof that been in place 30+ years and the new roof which is about a year old, the old roof has some black material under last tiles and into gutter which I am guessing is like the 5U felt recommended and the new roof just has the gap, I am guessing if I can actually manage to get the roofers back then they will still just want to cut the felt white away so it doesn't flap in wind - in peoples opinion is this an acceptable fix or should I be getting the black felt in there ?

Old roof:

IMG_3428.JPG

New roof:

IMG_3429.JPG

I still owe the builder that employed the roofers £800 which not paying until this resolved - any rough stabs at what getting felt in there would cost, would be on three sides each approx 4.5m long so 13.5m in total, would the tiles have to come off or can they poke it up underneath ?

Any help greatly appreciated as stressed by the whole thing and when it's windy makes such a racket none of us can sleep.

Many thanks,

Loz

Trim it back, or run a bead of silicone and stick it to the underside of the tile.
A bit bodgy but it'll stop the flap.

Thanks for reply, the trimming back will definitely stop the flapping, did think about sticking but reckon over time would work loose again, just concerned that every other roof seems to either have trays or the felt into guttering which is what the old part of the roof has which I have read is to protect the weak point of the eaves from water ingress and potential rotting over time. The trimming is all the roofer will want to do as is quick but really want to push for a proper solution and wish I had kept more money back as from comment above if any significant tiles coming off then scaffolding required on 3 sides which would eat up that money.

Many thanks,

Loz

My roof has no felt at all, the original timber fascia has only rotted where the guttering has leaked. 1930s build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back