flasher unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit direction indicators ( flashers) to my classic car. I have an old flasher unit with three terminals marked L, P, X. Can anyone tell me what the contacts are? The unit does not have a makers name, but it is type FL4H

Sponsored Links
I prefer the two terminal vane type flasher unit. Just put it in the supply feed to the stalk switch and away you go. You cant wire it wrong and available at any good motor factors.
One wire to +12volts and one to the switch

Bit of a search online shows that :

X=Input power
L=Load or Lamps (Signal switch in this case I assume)
P=Pilot or indicator lamp (repeater lamp on the dash)

A quick web search indicates the FL4H may well be for hazard lights, as it seems to be 4x21w. The equivalent part shown on the web search did not have a P terminal - this is for a separate tell-tale indicator lamp. The old style round flasher can with three terminals - a hot-wire unit - became old technology in the 1970s, (or possibly the late 1960s) superceded by the ballast resistor type. These originally were fixed load, (different unit if you had side repeaters) and at night with the lights on, sometimes the early ones did not flash (due to the lower voltage) By the 1980s however, the variable load solid-state unit had come into production, and AFAIK that is what is being used today. Thus, go for the latest technology, even though it may mean converting the vechicle to Negative Earth (which if you are fitting an alternator will have to be done anyway) Your local auto shop (or a web-search) should be able to advise the correct pattern part to buy. BTW what car is it?

Sponsored Links
Back