flashing for boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new roof on a semi with Redland concrete tiles.
The boiler flue extends through the loft into the flank wall roof and protrudes above the roof.
The roofer says he has not put flashing on the outside ie over the exterior face of the tiles ,but has put some kind of metal plate under the roof.
Any comment on this please?

Sponsored Links
a picture would be best.. but it should have a weathering slate of some description, be it lead or aluminium ...

When I looked again this afternoon I saw that the roofing felt, which had covered the area above the flue had partly come away ( I didn't cut it or pull it out-it was already like that ) and saw a metal plate as shown on the picture - sorry, it was the best I could take.
The round black object is the boiler flue,which appears as a semi circle.

//www.diynot.com/network/B127/albums/

Its seems to be the correct flashing around the flu but of greater concern is the state of the felt.The piece of lead seems to be in place as the flashing was probably not covering to bottom tile enough.A few more pics would be handy.

Sponsored Links
sorry but the picture was the best I could do without ripping the felt, which I prefer not to do until the roofer has come back to do remedial work.
I have been told that the felt should be attached round the circumference of the flue and that it needs to be redone from the outside of the roof, which means taking some tiles and battons off.
Or can it be done from inside the loft?
It seems to me that if it is left as it is rain in some circumstances could get into the house.
I have also been advided to check whether there is a collar on the outside surface of the flue over the flashing externally.

Its seems to be the correct flashing around the flu but of greater concern is the state of the felt.The piece of lead seems to be in place as the flashing was probably not covering to bottom tile enough.A few more pics would be handy.

The piece of lead is actually along the edge not the bottom.

This type of weathering slate is a one piece design and the collar is made of neoprene which streaches around the flue there by sealing it.
Based on what I can make out from the picture provided it possibly looks like the pipework has been pushed through the rubber seal from outside and the connected up. So , the seal/collar looks like its not in it's correct final position and is actually almost pushed inwards towards the ceiling and not standing up ..as such. (not a good idea.)
Felt/underlay careless and shoddy.

Just tell the guy to tidy it up properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back