Flat concrete roof and supporting wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a utility room with 3 external walls. It has a flat concrete roof.

Inside is a shower room that we want to remove but we're not sure if the wall is a supporting wall or not. The room is about 4 x 3m.

Should I get a builder in to take a look or a surveyor?

Sponsored Links
So, the surveyor just turned up and took some measurements. He said his office would email me some paperwork. Just had a read and it says they'll charge £100 plus £90 for the first hour. He was only here 10 mins. I don't think I want to see his report at that price will I still have to pay?

It depends on how you agreed with the surveyor for him to provide the service - as he's already made the visit I'd expect that you would be liable to settle the bill.

If the shower room was built in at the same time as the rest of the room went up, I would say its walls take some of the roofs weight.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The shower room isn't an original room, there are marks on the floor where a previous wall used to be but also above the ceiling there are marks on the underside of the concrete which seem to indicate that the original wall also went all the way up to the roof.

THe concrete does have steel within it for what that's worth. I think I'll need an RSJ or two anyway to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back