Flat pack chair - no hole on cushions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought following dining table/chairs set from Wilkinson last weekend.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0220614

However, while trying to assemble it, first I discovered that they did not supply allen wrench :mad: but I managed one from my friend.

After that while trying to fix the chair cushions (base) on frame, I discovered that the cushions had no holes to put the screws on :rolleyes:

Although the 2-page manual says there should be holes.

I had no prior experience with flat pack furnitures. Is it normal for cushions not to have any holes for screws? Does it mean that I need to drill holes first and then only put screws? :confused: The chair base is made of sawdust or similar, so not sure if I can drill there.

The other option is to return it to store - not very nice to pack and carry 40 kg of weight again!

Sponsored Links
you don't usually screw cushions

are these seat pads? a squarish wooden frame or slab with the cushion (squab) fixed to it? Usually the square drops into the chair, but I suppose you might screw it. If so it would be fixed from underneath. In this case I would probably use plastic assembly blocks (you don't want sharp screws where they could reach the sitter)

Can you post some pics?

If there is a display set in the shop you could have a look at how its's assembled.

Yes they are seat pads - probably I was wrong to use the term cushions! :oops:

The seat pad square is larger than the seat frame base. So, it must be screwed [from bottom, by making the chair frame upside down - as shown on manual]

What are plastic assembly blocks? How do I fit them?

There was nothing on display in store [for this model]

assembly blocks or KD blocks

on the DIY fixings shelf

p1933876_l.jpg

p1398929_l.jpg

though you use these fastening wood to wood, and your frames look like steel :confused:

show us some pics
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
not as helpful as if you put up a pic showing how the seat meets the frame.

Finally I put the screws on seat pad with a bit of force. I rang one my mates who bought similar chair from Argos and had no holes on seat base. He also forced the screws on seat base.

It's ok now.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back