flat roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a summerhouse, the roof will be 12x16ft with a slope of 2 degrees (1 in 30), 18mm OSB.

Would be grateful for advice, cannot decide between felt, fibreglass, one of those products that you paint on, or a kit from Screwfix with a single membrane. The latter option seems most foolproof! I'm fairly competent diyer but never done a roof before.

Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
I agree, for for epdm.

avoid felt - felted flat roofs are for professionals only

GRP is messy and can be ruined if it’s a wet day

Huge EPDM fan. Super easy to lay and lasts for decades

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for the replies, I've found EPDM on eBay.

On another note, the roof will be 6 boards, so none will be completely enclosed, so I still need a 3mm gap between them or can they go against each other? I'd like them to be touching so there's not a gap for the rubber.

Thanks again for the advice,

Mark

The system is the least important aspect of any flat roof. Correct installation is most important. Most roof failures in the first few years are due to poor workmanship rather than material choice. As you are installing yourself I would go with a liquid system as these are easier to install and most have significantly more elasticity in them than GRP. If you install on a good day you should have no problems. Just prime the roof and follow the instructions. Liquid also makes complex details easier.

Best Wishes Rod

If you've got a simple roof (no skylights, no chimneys, no odd little returns) then EPDM is the best way to go. GRP is very good for complex shapes but you can get into thermal noise and as said above, a rain shower at the wrong time can be very expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back