Flat roof / balcony.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. the extension shell is nearly done, roof is on and nearly finished (facias and guttering to do), now comes the flat roof / balcony.

For those who need a background, I have built a 2 story extension which the back 2meters is only single story and the idea is to turn the flat roof into a balcony coming from the new bedroom.

I am struggling to get my head around the design of this.
So far I have come up with putting down 20mm marine grade ply and then some form of damp proofing (3 layers of dpm / bitumen / felt. unsure which is the best). My problem is what to do next.

Ideally I would like to put lightweight concrete slabs / tiles down (not decking) but these would need to be put onto a morter bed.
Does the morter bed go straight onto the damproofing or does it need to go on something else.
I read somewhere that any covering has to be raised above the damproofing so that any water that gets underneath can run along it to the eaves and gutters.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Google for promenade tiles, and have a look at the spacers used for these

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back