Flat Roof Balcony Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although it would be a long way off and something that I wouldn't attempt myself I was wondering if it was a huge project to strengthen a flat roof to make it suitable as a balcony? I live in a terraced house with the kitchen and bathroom as a single story extension on the rear of the property with the flat roof. Being a terraced house there is limited space outside the property and thought this would be idea. Any tips as to if this is possible, what is involved and would it be a huge & expensive project would be gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
horny_kez said:
Although it would be a long way off and something that I wouldn't attempt myself I was wondering if it was a huge project to strengthen a flat roof to make it suitable as a balcony? I live in a terraced house with the kitchen and bathroom as a single story extension on the rear of the property with the flat roof. Being a terraced house there is limited space outside the property and thought this would be idea. Any tips as to if this is possible, what is involved and would it be a huge & expensive project would be gratefully recieved.

Highly unlikely the roof itself will be strong enough, but if the side walls are up to it then you can span steels or very heavy timbers and put a deck on it. But if your neighbours are partial to the odd bit of naturism they might get the hump with you overlooking them. (or approve heartily if they're show offs :mrgreen: )

lol, I don't think any of the neighbours would mind...unless I decided to become a naturist! We all get on ok and most of them only have little fences anyway so I don't think their bothered about privacy. Do you think it would be a big or more importantly expensive job to get done?

Sponsored Links
Do you have parapet walls? (walls that are higher up than the level of the roof) If not then it will be trickier. Also depends on the SIZE of the roof. You have given us no idea of this, or roof construction etc. Lots of info will glean lots of answers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back