Flat roof or hip roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been dealing with an architect for a planning application which involves a second story build over an existing single story kitchen extension at the rear of the house. He's been talking about putting a flat roof over the extension as opposed to a hip roof.

I'm not that keen on a flat roof for a number of reasons. Would rain falling on the flat roof be noisier than a hip roof?, is the insulation on a flat roof not as good as a hip roof?

A hip roof is more expensive and time consuming to construct as well isn't it??

Sponsored Links
Put your queries to the architect and ask them about alternative roof constructions for your extension. Why do you say a hip roof , do you just mean a pitched roof ?

We had a flat roofed extension on our hipped roof house, it looked awful.

We had the hip extended over when we had a loft conversion done.

It costs more to do it but i’d think it would add more value than it cost.

Sponsored Links
Your architect is either lazy or incompetent - or both; such architects use a flat roof as an easy design solution when they can't work out how to detail a pitched roof.
Your planning department may also have concerns about a flat roof on a two-storey extension.
Change your architect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back