Flat Roof EPDM/Insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a guy round to quote for replacing my knackered felt flat roof with EPDM.

The current felt is supported by slats of some kind (I forget the name for these) and apparently these will need to be replaced by ply or similar to give a smooth job and for the glue to adhere properly.

So here's question one: I doubt he will find any insulation when he does the job and if there is none I'd like him to stick some in. He offered two options if there is no insulation. One was a bit pricey, :) but Option 2 was to slip some felt in between the rafters when he put the ply down leaving a bit of space to breath. The insulation would therefore be sitting direct on the plaster board (I think!). What are the drawbacks of this method?

He reckoned my facia boards were not in need of replacing. Is it really wise to fit EPDM to wood facia boards? Won't they rot away long before the EPDM is ready for replacing? (I assume one can't be replaced without the other.)

In general terms is there anything I should be looking for when getting this kind of job done. [1]

[1] About the job, not the people - I've had two quotes from local tradesmen with first class reputations, both have the relevant quals, are on checkatrade and are members of the Confederation of Roofers. Both said similar things and seemed to know what they are doing, so far as I could tell.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back