Remove old felt before new EPDM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has been converted and a warm, raised EPDM rubber flat roof has been used to replace the old roof. Unfortunately the roof needs redoing as the builders did a shocking job, which they have admitted fault and replacing at their expense. One of things I spotted when they did it the first time is that they did not remove the old felt. From what I saw, they laid insulation boards over the old felt, waterproof T&G chipboard ontop and laid the EPDM on top of that. Should I be asking them to remove the old felt when they do it again or is it not something to worry about?

Sponsored Links
As long as the deck itself is sound, it's OK to overboard a felt roof before fitting EPDM.

I say that on the basis of the research I did before doing my own EPDM roof (which didn't involve existing felt).

However, firrings are normally fitted on top of joists. How are they going to fit the firrings (as per your other post) without removing the felt to discover the joists?

When you say chipboard, I hope you mean OSB and not chipboard. Chipboard, even water-resistant chipboard, is not a suitable roofing material.

Cheers
Richard

Yes the deck is sound. I assume they will attach the firrings to the wooden frame that has been constructed to raise the roof for the insulation to go in. Not sure how else they can do it. I do mean water resistant chip board. We asked our building inspector about this and he didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Sponsored Links
Yes the deck is sound. I assume they will attach the firrings to the wooden frame that has been constructed to raise the roof for the insulation to go in. Not sure how else they can do it. I do mean water resistant chip board. We asked our building inspector about this and he didn't seem to have a problem with it.
If you get any kind of leak, chipboard will swell up, rot and be wrecked. Insist on OSB (Stirling board), or ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back