EPDM roofing or bitumen felt for a Timber garage..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see in the pics one side of my timber garage is leaky. Initially I thought I will go for EPDM roofing, but knowing its going to be a one person doing this job, how practical it is to lay EPDM roofing..? I could get some ground support from my partner or kid but Only i will be on the roof to do the job. how heavy its going to pull EPDM sheets up etc. If going for EPDM roofing can i put that over current roofing bitumen felt..? Or I need to remove that first?

I am also thinking bitumen felt may be cheaper, but when I checked it in shops its very easily damaged. So not sure bitumen felt is the answer here...?
Couple of years ago I did small shed roofing, Thats the only experience i have I know its huge difference between a garden shed and timber garage.. I have seen some sites giving EPDM 50 years lasting where as felt may be 5 years!

Any tips..?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 11.26.49 PM.jpeg

1653349480024.png

Sponsored Links
If going for EPDM roofing can i put that over current roofing bitumen felt..? Or I need to remove that first?
You can overlay existing felt roofs with EPDM but you have to use contact adhesive rather than the water based adhesive which is normally used on a new deck.
The finished job would be waterproof but it would not be very attractive as every hump and bump in the existing felt roof will show through, also contact adhesive is very tricky to work with.

I am also thinking bitumen felt may be cheaper, but when I checked it in shops its very easily damaged. So not sure bitumen felt is the answer here...?
A proper felt roof would require 3 layers of felt, also torch on felt requires someone skilled to fit it.
EPDM is cold fixed, so there is no fire hazard.
A standard garage roof can stripped, redecked and fitted with EPDM in a day.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back