Felt or EPDM dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just completing extending my flat garage roof forward and am about to lay the OSB boards

Size is 7.3m x 2.5m and its link detached

I have been quoted £500 (labour and materials incl.) for a 3 layer felt roof

So it got me thinking, is this a decent price for a proper roofer to do the job ?

Secondly, i just noticed the price of 1.5mm EPDM on https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...5mm-epdm-membrane-price-per-m2-060-grade.html actually seems the same price as felt from what i can see (18.25m2 x £11.28 = £205)

Is EPDM the norm these days (they are quting 50 years life expectancy !) and is it feasible to put down EPDM myself as a competent DIYer (but a bit of a plodder), or is it a 2 man job ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the norm but its an established system.
Plus point- it comes as a single sheet so no joins to form.
Possible minus (dunno, not done one) the corner detailing and how you form a drip edge to the gutter.
Plodding is fine but you may have to pick up the pace when the glue goes down...

EPDM every time. 50 year life may be exaggerating it a bit, but should be well in excess of 20 years and potentially longer than a felt system in any case.

Its easy to DIY, lot of guides out there, and no special equipment required (maybe a seam roller), and you could do it on your own, but as always two people would be easier for moving the sheet around - its heavy

cheers guys for the input...still deliberating as want the kudos of saying i did the complete job top to bottom and cost wise there seems nothing in it
but just conscious that ripping the old felt and boards off, boarding it all and laying the rubber in a day seems a big ask on my tod especially as the weather has changed

looks like time for the wife to change the suspender belt for a tool belt ;)

Sponsored Links
Sheet of dpm cut roughly to size (to cover the whole roof if existing roof drains onto the new roof) will cover you for intermittent showers/rubbish days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back