Felt or EPDM Firestone Rubber Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm trying to decide whether to get a felt roof or an EPDM firestone roof for my garage conversion. I've just been told by one roofer that he's not that keen on EPDM as he says it splits after a while because of sunlight, other people saying there are problems with shrinkage and the seams needing servicing. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons? Any additional advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I opted for the Firestone membrane for the flat roof of my single storey kitchen. Partly because the thatch over hang of the main building is a foot above the flat roof which prevented the use of heat guns needed for felt roofing.

Sheets are much larger than felt sheets so there are no joins other than round the chimney area. So far after three years there are no signs of deterioration. Tests with some left over pieces suggest that if repairs are needed then the cold solvent welding of seams is effective.

Are you doing it yourself? if so, EPDM every time. And everything I've read suggests it should last for decades. It's possible the roofer you spoke to just doesn't want to do EPDM because he's not familiar with it. If you did get any damage, it's easy to repair with EPDM flashing that welds itself to the membrane with the aid of a naphtha-based primer. Having done one EPDM roof on a 25 sq m structure, I wouldn't use anything else for a flat roof.

Cheers
Richard

I've just been told by one roofer that he's not that keen on EPDM as he says it splits

Don't listen to him. It's not like felt does not split "after a while" either. Many traditionalist flat roofers don't understand other products.

I can't see any reason why EPDM should not be any less durable or longer lasting than traditional felt. In fact, it should last longer. There are no problems with shrinkage or need for servicing either.

It looks a lot better than felt especially with the edge trims etc. And in the longer term, its much easier to check and maintain EPDM, and if a leak does occur, its much easier to find the source, as there are far fewer joints than with felt - less to go wrong.

With the Firestone product, you do need it fitted by an accredited installer to benefit from the warranty.

Sponsored Links
Are you doing it yourself? if so, EPDM every time. And everything I've read suggests it should last for decades. It's possible the roofer you spoke to just doesn't want to do EPDM because he's not familiar with it. If you did get any damage, it's easy to repair with EPDM flashing that welds itself to the membrane with the aid of a naphtha-based primer. Having done one EPDM roof on a 25 sq m structure, I wouldn't use anything else for a flat roof.

Cheers
Richard
Nope not doing it myself, want to get a roofer in to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back