GRP vs EPDM (Fibreglass vs Rubber)

As both systems offer infinately longer lifespan and guarantees than felt,in what way are they cheap and nasty,and off interest what do you prefer instead?
The reason that are not as widely used as felt is due to a fear of the unknown by a lot of tradesman,I used to be one of them.
Cheers

Not sure what felts you have come across, but obviously not any decent ones.

Its not used on a commercial scale because it has failed on a commercial scale for the reasons explained.

Sponsored Links
True I have little experience of felts,other than the countless roofs I have had to replace.Felt/bitumen just seems a bit primative in comparison to grp an edpm.
The grp,cureit for example offer a guarantee in excess of 20 years but say it will last forever if installed correctly,the edpm about 20 years.Are there felts that can match this? Which ones you refering to,and how do they compare money wise.Also have you used cold adhesive,is it any good?
Cheers

Have a look at Bauder website to name 1. It was invented after the war to line reservoirs in Germany, and was utilised for flat roofing as a result. There are roofs 50 years old in it and totally fault free. We charge from £95-£180 ish a m2 depending on build up. Inclusive of prelims.

Cold adhesive had a run in the 80's and to be honest, i've not seen it let go on the field area, but have on the laps. Its also a complete bastard when stripping, think bitumen in 100 degree heat. Most bitumous systems are self adhesive with welded lap and torch welded cap sheet, unless green roof then fully torched.

We stripped Brent Cross in the 90's, 50,000 m2 of Butyl roof that had failed after 7 years, on every lap. The reason being the combined thickness of the lap had a different thermal movement to the flat, and rippled itself apart. Thats why single sheets cut to project are fine, but once you get over a managble size, joints are introduced, and it fails.

Sponsored Links
I agree about the joints,the whole idea is to use a single sheet cut for the job with edpm,that's why its ideal for small extensions,dormers etc.what do you mean by self adhesive,no bitumen or aditional adhesive needed,acept for seems?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back