Felt v. EPDM v. GRP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are about to move into a house which has a flat roof of approx 12m x 3m over the garage and a downstairs bedroom. The existing felt roof is at the end of its life - it's had to be patched at various times over the past few years and also (at least) two panels of the existing chipboard decking are waterlogged and bowed.

I have had a quote from a felt roof installer to refelt the whole thing and replace the damaged chipboard with 18mm ply. The felt is a 3 layer solution (3H/3G perforated base layer, 3B glass fibre second layer, and a elastomeric non rip top layer) all poured and bedded in boiling bitumen. Price for that is £1400 plus £50 for each sheet of plywood that is needed (up to a max of £2K total if we have to replace ALL the decking).

That sounded quite simple and reasonable to me until I started talking to other firms today and reading this forum.

My first query is that some other felt roofing firms (when just asked for a rough idea of price over the phone today) have said I should automatically replace all the chipboard decking with 18mm ply, regardless of condition. Is that right, or are they just trying to bump up the price of the job?

Second query is that I have now discovered the alternative options of EPDM or GRP. Each company I have spoken to only seems to deal in one particular technology and, of course, each one thinks their chosen product is the only sensible choice.

Price of GRP is coming out at £2k including a mandatory redecking of the whole roof - so the same as price as felt with a redeck.

EPDM - I haven't got a quote yet, but given that the DIY solution is only about £600 from www.diy-flat-roof.com, I am guessing a professionally installed EPDM roof will be about £2K as well.

So, what are the pros and cons of each option: felt, GRP or EDPM?

All input much appreciated.

[EDIT - have now got the price of EDPM, which is £2700 inc VAT.

So quite a bit more than felt. Perhaps a compromise solution is as follows:

Get the damaged sections of decking replaced now and the roof refelted. That will get me through the winter and means that come the summer I would have a nice sound base on which to try laying this: http://www.diy-flat-roof.com/ for a cost of about £600.

Any thoughts on that idea?]

David.

Sponsored Links
Pay the extra and get it done by proper installers in EPDM IMHO, That will see you through a good few years more than felt.

Shop about a bit you may get it cheaper.

Also what part of the UK are you from?

Hi,

I'm in Essex, and would welcome any recommendations for decent installers of EPDM.

David.

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate, cant recommend any in the Essex area. I could in Birmingham tho!!!

I would recommend looking into the EPDM tho, Get it done properly and you'll be not wanting it done again I bet while your living there, Felt however........Who knows. The EPDM looks tidy too!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back