Flat roof flashing - leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in to this house in May. The garage is a flat roof extension and joins the external wall of the house, which is pebble dash rendered.

Looks like it was done on the cheap as it's just mortar flashing and while the felt has been recently been redone, they've just gone over the old stuff.

Anyway, it leaks down the wall where it joins the house. A roofer came out and supposedly sealed it by painting on a load of lead mastic (or something like that) over the mortar. That hasn;t worked.

I know (now) that a proper job would involve raking into the render, feeding in lead flashings and then sealing that. But I'm reluctant to spend more money as I kind of want to see what else crops up and anticipate having to replace the whole roof in the next few years.

Is there anything I can do as a low-skilled but willing to try DIYer to improve the seal of the flashing, even if it's not perfect?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the "roofer"(?) did a proper job with suitable material and it has not worked .....

You need to at least cut a slot into the render and insert a barrier to stop water running down the face and within the render if its in poor condition.

A mini grinder, some Flashbland and some mastic (Leadmate) are the minimum for a quick fix for several years life. Less than £50

Otherwise if the render is sound and a suitable sealer such as Acrypol or bitumen is used, it could be fine for a while.

Figued I'd pop back to this and comment that a coat of bitumen has worked (so far...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back