Flat roof insulation. To vent or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted under another section but no answers so I thought I'd re-post here.

Hi, I am about to finish insulating the roof on my garage. It is approx. 6.5mtrs X 2.5mtrs wide with the joists running across the width. It currently has a cold deck and I have 120mm celotex to put between the rafters. The joist are notched into the bricks with the top of the joists sitting level with the top of the bricks. The ply roof substrate also sitting onto the bricks and extending over the sides.

I am unsure if I should put the celotex tight up under the ply thus leaving a cavity beneath this and the plaster board that I will eventually dry line it with. Alternatively, should I fit the celotex sitting just above the plaster board with the cavity above. If I do this do I need to knock out a brick at each end between each andd every rafter or could I perhaps knock out a brick every second rafter and dril some vent holes, say, approx. three or four 30mm in the joists to allow the air to move down the length?

Alternatively again, if I was to fit the insulation tight to the underside and use a vapour barrier would this suffice?

Your help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back