flat roof overhang purpose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I had a query around flat roof overhangs on garden offices/rooms please if anyone can enlighten me?

I found on Google they can provide shade in South facing gardens, but other than this does the small overhang on garden rooms serve any purpose or is it purely a matter of aesthetics? Does it aid in venting a cold roof? I saw some videos where they vent through the sofit of the overhang.

Cheers

Larry

Sponsored Links
Does not provide meaningful shade unless the overhang is over 600mm (why shade a wall anyway? )

Does nothing for ventilation.

It protects the wall from rain and staining

Its going to depend on what you want it to do!

Thanks woody and catlad. I'm not after it doing anything if I can get away with it. It'll make the build a little simpler and use a bit less materials so a win for me. Pretty much every video seems to have an overhang so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a trick by not having an overhang.

Cheers

Larry

Sponsored Links
You'll have a white stained mess of a wall if you don't.

You can't even manage a 50mm overhang?

Thanks Woody, yes I will now! That's the trick I was missing right there. Cheers appreciate that.

Larry

A reasonable overhang may be useful when its raining and your looking for your keys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back