Flat roof puddle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a quick search on the forums before posting but wasn't sure about how conclusive the answers were as some said it would be a problem, but other said no.

We've just had a flatroof redone by a roofing company as over the years the wood had become rotten and was leaking at one side.

Going to elaborate a little about the new roof before coming to the quesiton, so hope this is ok:
They used the existing timberframe (not sure why, but they look quite solid) and put what looked like pressed board on top. I think the men called it a special name, but it seems to be made of lots of woodchips pressed together so the surface has this mish-mash of wood but it's a smooth surface.
Then overthe top they put a few layers of a black material (I'm afraid I don't know what it's called) and used blow torches to seal it all in with some black liquid.

Onto the question: We haven't put any tiles or decking put on top yet, but in the meantime, it's been raining a fair bit, and the roof is starting to puddle up. These tend to be in the middle of the roof, and are deep enough that if you step into them without too much force: it splashes. There doesn't seem to be anywhere the water can run off to easily, so we're just using an old broom to sweep off the water.

Is the flat roof meant to puddle up like this? If so, is there a certain degree that it can puddle up before causing any adverse effects? The roofer hasn't responded to my questions yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

p/s: Apologies for all the layman terms.

Sponsored Links
Everything you've said so far is correct, but... a flat roof will need a very slight angle of run off, usually made with firring strips under the decking boards (yours are O.S.B by the sounds of it) to stop the puddling and allow water to eventually run off, you haven't mentioned these in your question so assume the roofer did'nt fit any.

js.roofing: Thank you for your reply! :)

With regards to the furring: would this be something that is normally fitted with every (flat) roof job, or is it something that one would normally pay extra for? We did get 3 quotes for the job, and this was the middle price.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
js.roofing: Thank you for your reply! :)

With regards to the furring: would this be something that is normally fitted with every (flat) roof job, or is it something that one would normally pay extra for? We did get 3 quotes for the job, and this was the middle price.

Thanks!

you can use furrings or slope the the roof joists to allow for the fall, either way its part of building a flat roof, so regarding your question its yes ( normally fitted, or sloping joists ). So you must have a sagging joists ( if done correctly in first place )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back