Flat roof

wjm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the thinking stage about building a small building across the back of my garden, probably around 4m x 10m, I am reasonably competent in the building part, however the roof will be a completely new area to me.

I'm not sure where to start, I am presume it will be a flat felt roof probably at a gradient to allow water run off. I could probably bodge it if it came to it, but would like to know how to do it properly (ish!) as I don't want it leaking all over the place ;) .

I would also be interested in hearing about different kinds of roof covering that might do the job.

Cheers in advance :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't have a flat roof given and I started my working life as a Roofer.All a flat roof does is hold water for you until it finds a way in... and it will in time.You are wise to consider putting a slight fall on it but if you can stretch to putting a pitch roof on then don't hesitate.If you absolutely have to put a flat roof on then this will give you a basic outline of the process. http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/building_a_flat_roof.htm Good luck with your project

I had a so called flat roof on my garage but in fact it was concaved and held the water.
The boards under the felt must have expanded because a ridge was formed on edge sides of every board and the felt was stretched down the centre of every board eventually leading to leaks.
My cure was to remove brickwork at the rear and jack up the front to make a slight pitch and recover using corrogated bitumenised sheets.
I agree with DAZB a pitched roof everytime.
I suppose what your building is to be used for is a factor.
I can't see any real problems in tiling a roof, they just slot into place with a nail here and there (as long as it's not me doing it)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm doing the same thing at the back of my garden.Pitch roof are best for trouble free and appearance.Flat roof can be an eyesore to look at the back of your garden.You can go up to 4m high for a pitch roof or 3m for flat roof but check with your local planning.Best to get truss frame made up for your roofing section as its cheaper and easy to do! I will be using Turicor plastic roofing sheet with a tile effect.Have a look at this website for more details for different type of roofing. www.e-b-c-uk.com/products.htm & www.alumasc-exteriors.co.uk/products/default.asp?prNameLink=Dura-loc

Sponsored Links
Some very interesting ideas, I'll give it all some thought.

Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back