Flat roof

If you taper 2" or notch 2" off a 9" joist, it performs as a 7" joist, so you need to confirm that it will still be suitable for the span.

Bear in mind that the 2.5m limit is eaves height, not roof height.

Sponsored Links
Looking at span table my 9 x 2 will be able to span to nearly 5m so 7 x 2 is really what i could of got away. I messed up basically forgetting about the slope on roof.

Screw a temporary batten to the side of each joist and using the c/saw, cut down to 200mm at the top and 150 at the bottom. If they are C24s at 400 centres, they will be fine.

Sponsored Links
I have quite often designed glulam beams with cut outs at the end - say to go in steels etc.

The structural Engineer always passed them - he did tell me once how big a chop out is possible - it's quite a lot, something like a 1/3 (can't remember the length) before it lowers the beam stiffness.

I have quite often designed glulam beams with cut outs at the end - say to go in steels etc.

The structural Engineer always passed them - he did tell me once how big a chop out is possible - it's quite a lot, something like a 1/3 (can't remember the length) before it lowers the beam stiffness.
Cut outs from the middle?

Or cutting the top or bottom edge?

So you're saying that if you have a 9" deep joist and notch it 2" at the end, you've turned it into a 7" deep joist??? Hmmm...
Did I say that? :rolleyes:

A notch is a notch, there is guidance for notching.

Reducing the depth continuously via a taper is completely different.

Silly me - my most sincere and humble apologies - I mistakenly thought you said:

"If you taper 2" or notch 2" off a 9" joist, it performs as a 7" joist"

Cut outs from the middle?

Or cutting the top or bottom edge?

Top or bottom edge.

Quite often I designed orangeries with glulam beams.

Typically the beam would be 90 x 405 and cut down to 300mm at each end -sometimes a metre long.

Basically the 300mm section was the flat roof perimeter and the 405mm was the lantern upstand.

Silly me - my most sincere and humble apologies - I mistakenly thought you said:

"If you taper 2" or notch 2" off a 9" joist, it performs as a 7" joist"
Apology accepted.

Btw, it was notch who suggested notching the ends of the joists over the plate that's the notching I referred to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back