Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This may be a bit long winded so apologies........

I have a 4 bedroom bungalow, that started life as a 1 bedroom bungalow with a pitched roof. needless to say the additional three bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom are all encompassed by a flat roof that I don't believe has been maintained as well as it should have been in the past (Pooling, lifting felt etc).
The area of the flat roof is about 65% of the overall roof covering, which causes me problems with house insurance. I would like to have the whole of the roof pitched with an additional en-suite bedroom upstairs and utilise the smallest of the present bedrooms for the stairs to be sited.
Because all the neighbouring properties have pitched roofs that are much much higher than the highest point of my present roof I cannot see that as being a problem. But my concerns are:
The flat roof I have is not square, it is mis-shapen to say the least. Will this have a big effect on any plans I needed drawing up.
Will I pay through the nose for an architect to do the drawings? (I am going to do a "Bentley Microstation" course in the very near future so I may be able to do my own).
Is this going to be a very expensive project that I will struggle to re coup the cost?
Would I be better off keeping the flat roof as it is and getting it maintained PROPERLY.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
because you are going to remove your existing roof for a prolonged period of time, then a complete canopy scaffold would be wise.
quite expensive.

you may lose the ceilings in every room.
costly.

if the existing roof is plain clay tiles (small ones), and the new roof uses a lot of hip or valley tiles then these are very expensive. a large hipped roof can gobble up £1000 worth of hip tiles alone.
quite expensive.

you will need to secure the wall plate using galvanized bent straps, these will need to be chased into the plaster, probably in every room.
moderate cost.

the cheapest and quickest roof would probably be trusses, but if you intend using the loft space, then a traditional cut roof is the best way to go. you may need to extend some of the internal walls up into the loft to support purlins or ceiling binders. the stairs will need 2m of headroom, so bare this in mind.
pricey.

it is likely the council (planning)will insist on a hipped roof, but gable roofs offer the best opportunity for habitable loft space

Thanks Noseall.
Some good food for thought. I thought it would be quite costly hence worrying about recouping the cost in the house price increase.
Going to speak with architect who will hopefully give me enough information to allow me to decide.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I'd talk to the Council first if I were you. Never take planning issues for granted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back