Flat to pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a lean to conservatory with polycarbonate roof, I would like to make part of it flat and part pitch, pitch is 10 degree with polycarbonate sheets.It as one full wall and a window on the other side is block up the support the flat roof.
Does this type of roof have a name? The flat part will be insulated, how do we ventilate it and get rain water to run off on the pitch part? My partner will be doing the work. I found a drawing on google to show what I want
InkedInkedExample 6 (Loft)_LInjj.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for replying what size is that roof and size of timber use? We are waiting for an SE to get back to us for a flitch late.

Hi thanks for replying what size is that roof and size of timber use? We are waiting for an SE to get back to us for a flitch late.

The roof covers an area 6.4m x 4.2m

The (sloping) rafters are 150mm x 50mm.

The flat roof joists are 175mm x 50mm.

The flitch beam consists of 2no 195mm x 50mm timber beams with a pre drilled 170mm x 10mm steel plate sandwiched in between. Bolted together with (difficult to obtain) M16 bolts.

There is a 178mm x 102mm x 19kg u beam supporting a railway sleeper sized vertical timber post supporting the hip/flitch/return trimmer beam junction.

The short return trimmer is a pair of 195mm x 50mm timber beams fixed together.

Sponsored Links

The flitch beam consists of 2no 195mm x 50mm timber beams with a pre drilled 170mm x 10mm steel plate sandwiched in between. Bolted together with (difficult to obtain) M16 bolts.

There is a 178mm x 102mm x 19kg u beam supporting a railway sleeper sized vertical timber post supporting the hip/flitch/return trimmer beam junction.

My roof is nearly the same size so am happy only going to used light weight conservatory roof tiles. Lets see what my SE come back with. Thank you.

Noseall, could you please tell me if the roof is a warm roof are cold roof, if cold roof how did you vent it?

Noseall, could you please tell me if the roof is a warm roof are cold roof, if cold roof how did you vent it?
The flat roof is a warm roof and the sloping part is vented via an air gap and breather membrane.

Flat roof make up:
Code 6 lead.
Felt slip mat.
125mm Kingspan insulated roof deck.
Furrings.
175mm x 50mm joists on hangers.

Sloping roof make up:
Sandtoft roof tiles.
25mm tile batten.
Breather membrane.
150mm x 50mm rafters.
100mm Celotex between with 25mm air gap all joints foil taped.
40mm across rafters all joints foil taped.

The flat roof is a warm roof and the sloping part is vented via an air gap and breather membrane.

Flat roof make up:
Code 6 lead.
Felt slip mat.
125mm Kingspan insulated roof deck.
Furrings.
175mm x 50mm joists on hangers.

Sloping roof make up:
Sandtoft roof tiles.
25mm tile batten.
Breather membrane.
150mm x 50mm rafters.
100mm Celotex between with 25mm air gap all joints foil taped.
40mm across rafters all joints foil taped.
Hight is an issue cant go any higher for a warm roof so need a cold roof.

Hight is an issue cant go any higher for a warm roof so need a cold roof.
Bad luck.

I'm sure a clever designer could come up with a hybrid whereby you had say 50mm of Celotex across the joists internally, with the ceiling space completely filled with Celotex. Expensive but avoids the dreaded cold roof scenario.

Bad luck.

I'm sure a clever designer could come up with a hybrid whereby you had say 50mm of Celotex across the joists internally, with the ceiling space completely filled with Celotex. Expensive but avoids the dreaded cold roof scenario.
The flat pat of my roof will be 5310 x 1440 deep i hope i cam used 6x2 timber from wall plate to flitch beam that way we may be able to have 3a warm roof

Hi noseall, could you please tell me the spacing and size of hole in the flitch? plate

The bolts were M16. Spacings were probably 600c/c staggered top to bottom.
Good morning Thanks, can you help me with this, I am told this flitch plate is too thick or big as my roof is smaller than your and just light weight conservatorytiles we will be using. I up load my report

Attachments

• 5 Appleton Road.pdf
    227.9 KB · Views: 437
Good morning Thanks, can you help me with this,
Sorry I'm no SE but that looks mahoosive. It took 4 strong blokes to get ours in place and was a right fecking handful.
Your SE sounds like he's bottling it. Only thing you can usually do with an overzealous SE is to change for one that is prepared to help the customer rather than hinder. We have a brill one here in Staffs. Mike Abbott. Top geezer.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm no SE but that looks mahoosive. It took 4 strong blokes to get ours in place and was a right fecking handful.
Your SE sounds like he's bottling it. Only thing you can usually do with an overzealous SE is to change for one that is prepared to help the customer rather than hinder. We have a brill one here in Staffs. Mike Abbott. Top geezer.
Thats what everyone say how much would your mare charge? I have email my SE about the size of the plate. Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back