Flat warm roof - insulation/deck confusion :(

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Single story flat roof extension with some skylights. Trying to understand the best way to create the warm deck but getting confusing advice from manufacturers of insulation/membrane...

I've got lots of 120mm kingspan foil/foil.

I believe I need deck of 18mm OSB or WBP?

May need vapour control (1000 gauge?)

Another layer of decking?

What order do they go all down?

Cheers for any advice!

Sponsored Links
A warm deck roof is basically the same as a standard flat roof except there is no ventilation and the insulation is on top of the deck rather than within the roof structure. The insulation being on top of the deck means the deck stays warm thus 'warm deck' roof. The other essential ingredient is a vapour control layer, to prevent vapour from penetrating the insulation, which must be on the warm side. So you might lay; rafters, decking, vapour layer, insulation, another top deck and then the weathering layer. Strictly speaking the top deck isn't necessary and you could put the weathering layer directly on the insulation but that isn't very practical for walking on.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
Mine is exactly as jeds describes: rafters, decking, vapour layer, insulation, another top deck and then the weathering layer. As mentioned the top decking isn't essential but it does make it easier to lay the weathering layer and allow you to walk around up there. I used 12mm WPB as the ply/kingspan sandwich is pretty stiff.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back