Flats converted to house - permitted development rights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a house that has been converted into 2 flats. Permitted development rights do not apply to flats.

If we convert the 2 flats back in to 1 house (as the property would have originally been) then do the permitted development rights apply to the house?

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what conditions the planners attach to the permission. Probably not.

It's a bit of a grey area. The separation of a house into multiple dwellings requires planning permission but, in general, its re-amalgamation does not; therefore there would be no conditions attached to such an undertaking. However, where a local authority can demonstrate that the change amounts to a material loss of a housing type (perhaps there's critical demand for flats more so than houses); this is where you can come unstuck. So, while in general your PD rights will be automatically reinstated, it's best to chat with a duty officer (if such a thing still exists anywhere) to make sure. - Oh, and if you don't like the answer they give you, speak to a lawyer.

Sponsored Links
If you want to do anything that's within permitted development rights usually, and you need to ask for planning permission in your scenario, you probably won't have any problems being granted planning permission. It's just the irritation of having to go through it.

I live in a ground floor flat, own my back garden, so I had to get planning permission for the work I did. I had a single storey extension built, and a big summerhouse at the end of the garden.

During my application for planning permission my neighbours in the house on one side objected to everything. Also I had a plannning officer who didn't like any of it either.

The flats were converted from a house, I deliberately kept everything within what the houses either side of me could do within their permitted development rights. And when the council agreed my planning permission begrudgingly, the jist of their comment was well we have to alllow it as we can't say no can we.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back