Flattening out a bulge in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've stripped the wallpaper and lining paper on my landing as it was coming off. The walls are reasonably flat so I was going to put new lining paper on and paint.

There is one bit that stuck out like a sore thumb as it was bulging, I was expecting to find blown plaster but it appears the plaster is sound, but whoever filled in the gap (used to be doorway and stud wall I believe) hasn't bothered to flatten it.

Short of skimming the whole landing, what would be the best way to even it down enough so its not so noticable once papered?

I tried my orbital sander with 80 grit paper (Cheapo MacAllister one) and its not exactly quick. Is there a better grade of paper or tool for the job? I have dust extraction so don't mind if its a bit messy.

Cheers

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_181702.jpg
    IMG_20210115_181702.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20210115_181734.jpg
    IMG_20210115_181734.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
make a "Feature" of the bulge, surround the bulge with a decorative timber frame, and even place a picture or similar inside the timber feature?

It will be really dusty to remove that much so prepare for it

I've got a class m vacuum cleaner so I've used that attached to my sander earlier. Not a lot of dust escaped earlier but alas still a lot of bulging on the wall.

Sponsored Links
make a "Feature" of the bulge, surround the bulge with a decorative timber frame, and even place a picture or similar inside the timber feature?

Thanks Ken, I thought that was a joke haha first but now you mention it ,a full length mirror or something is a decent shout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back