Flattening pine planks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed the pine rails from a ranch style staircase. These are 25mm x 250mm in varying lengths and I would like to use the wood for another project. Unfortunately, they have becomes slightly bowed in the 40 plus years they have been in place. I would like them thinner (18mm - 20mm) and flat. I would like to know whether anyone has any other suggestions how to do this but this is one idea I have had. (I don't have a thicknesser). I was thinking of laying the planks on my workbench (bow upwards) and clamping strips of wood along either side, sitting a few mm above the highest point. I would then make a sliding platform to sit on top of these. This platform would support a router which could slide from side to side. What this would allow me to do is to mill the planks flat as the router will be able to move over the whole surface of the plank. Once one side was complete, it would be turned over and the other side machined. Will this work ok?

Sponsored Links
There are you tube videos where people have done similar
Don't know if it works

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back