Fleck Water Heater tripping the power (Spain)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used these water heaters before? I'm renting a home and the landlord insists on this heater as he installed one when we moved in. I've lived here 7 years and we're on our 3rd one. The first one died after a year by leaking everywhere. The second one lasted 2 and a half years but also died by leaking everywhere, and this current one we have abu0t 3 years I'd say and it seems to be now having problems. Electrical problems.
Last night there was a trip in the power, it was very late, but I checked each switch individually and couldn't find the issue immediately, but for some reason, when I unplugged the kettle, the power stayed on. That was fine. Now this evening, the power tripped again, and the kettle wasn't even plugged in. So, I unplugged things one at a time and rechecked each time. Strangely, this time, when I unplugged the robot vacuum cleaner, the power stayed on......but for just 5 minutes and then tripped again. At this point, I noticed that the water heater seems to be the only plugged in appliance that isn't on the same fuse as the rest of the sockets, and I found this unusual. Of course that might be perfectly normal, as I'm not an electrician or a plumber! But I had a hunch and I decided to unplug the water heater and then put the power back on, I even plugged the vacuum cleaner and kettle back in and boiled some water, and the power has stayed on solid for the last hour.
This suggests a possible fault with the water heater, right?
Should I run an extension cable to it and plug it in there and see if the system stays on? Or is it time to change this water heater as well. It's a FLECK water heater, cylinder shaped, 2 images attached.
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 21.29.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 21.29.55.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 131
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 21.29.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 21.29.54.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
Landlords problem, not yours.
What is tripping- is it an MCB or RCD/RCBO (these have a TEST button as well as the on/off switch).
Is the thing your only source of hot water?
Landlords love electric heaters- cheap to buy and install, no maintenance costs. They're expensive to run but that's a tenant problem.

Thanks for the reply. The agreement we had with the LL was that since he did the place up completely before we moved in, we would be responsible for maintenance. That said, he did replace the first two that failed quickly as he felt that they had died very quickly indeed. On this occasion, he might not be so generous. I don't know much about electrics unfortunately, and it is our only source of hot water, yes. :( Is there a test button on my water heater?

Thanks for the reply. The agreement we had with the LL was that since he did the place up completely before we moved in, we would be responsible for maintenance.
Why agree to that? Landlord’s appliance, not yours, thus, onus on landlord to sort. Have you hung anything up recently, eg a picture, mirror, or even something as daft as an air freshener? I had this few weeks ago, customer had installed an air wick freshener and screw had pierced the thermostat cable, causing tripping of electrics.

Sponsored Links
Nothing hung up recently unfortunately. I just think these heaters are cr@p. Do we all agree it is likely the water heater or is there still a chance it could be something else? For example, on two previous occasions, dead extension cables have caused trips.
I might chance asking the LL I suppose, but at the same time, if there is an easier fix in the meantime then great.

Reactions: CBW
Nothing hung up recently unfortunately. I just think these heaters are cr@p. Do we all agree it is likely the water heater or is there still a chance it could be something else? For example, on two previous occasions, dead extension cables have caused trips.
I might chance asking the LL I suppose, but at the same time, if there is an easier fix in the meantime then great.
Have you tried leaving the heater off? Can you post a photo of consumer unit and indicate which circuit trips?

It seems to be tripping the differential switch (IMAGE 1). I'm in Madrid, so excuse the Spanish labels on the images. What I find strange is that there is a separate fuse for the bathroom and kitchen, and the water heater is in the bathroom (IMAGE 2). And this never seems to trip. If you look at the images I have included. If I leave the various sockets switch off, the differential switch stays on. This might mean the water heater is not causing the issue. It's very confusing.

Attachments

• IMAGE 1.jpg
    IMAGE 1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAGE 2.jpg
    IMAGE 2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 91
The one that trips, does appear to be an rcd, so this afaik means there’s residual current straying from somewhere. It could be that the heater is on the socket ring (if they have them in Spain) and causing it to trip. If you can live without the heater for say a day, leave it switched off and see if the rcd trips with it off.

I left the water heater unplugged for 12 hours and there was no trip. Mind you, it has been plugged back in now for the last 4 hours and there is no trip yet either.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Back