RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*EDIT Ignore title, it's not just upstairs bring, its while house, any large appliance is tripping electrics*

Hi
My RCDkeeps tripping on the consumer unit. I unplugged everything and it seems anything low powered is ok (laptop charger, plug in night light, tv) but anything with a bit more power (kettle, fridge, fan heater) is causing it to trip.

Also, when it trips and I unplug the last item that caused it, I switch the RCD back on but usually it'll flick straight off again, takes a couple of goes to get it on.

Any thoughts on where I should start? (Live in middle of nowhere, so electrician while preferred isn't an option for a while).

Checked a couple of sockets with a tester, will check them all. I have a multimeter too if that's any help.

20200805_162805.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The MCB for the kitchen ring has just tripped now (RCD tripped too).

It sounds like a neutral earth fault. With this fault the actually fault can be in the toaster but it seems caused by kettle. So unplug things rather than turn them off, as often switched only turn off the line, so it could all be caused by some thing plugged in but not in use.

Thanks, I'll try that now. Seems to be tripping at random now, just the RCD, even with low powered stuff. I'll go unplug everything then test it.

Sponsored Links
The Neutral to Earth fault could be anywhere in or around the house, often it is outside lights that have got damp inside the units. The RCD can trip even if the MCB for the faulty circuit has been turned OFF as the MCB does not disconnect the Neutral

0x89.jpg

Absolutely everything unplugged, sockets off etc.. as soon as I try something it trips.

Have you / anyone been working on your electrics recently.
Do you have problems with rodents ?

The MCB for the kitchen ring has just tripped now (RCD tripped too).

If the MCB has tripped, there is an over current fault as wel

So we should be thinking about causes such as a water leak into a socket, or a nail or screw into a cable.

Have you been drilling into walls recently, or had a leak? Have you got a puppy or rat that chews cables?

Pull out all the plugs for a start.

Think I've found the problem, its the old screw through a power cable routine...

I was doing some work in kitchen yesterday, just pulled it out and looks like I've put a screw into the kitchen ring cable. Funny how it only started tripping today? Anyway, screw is out and electrics are behaving themselves now.

Thank you all for your help. I'll get that section of cable replaced immediately, luckily it's only a short run from one socket to the next.

What a d*ckhead. Sorry!

Next question... can anyone recommend a stud/cable/pipe finder that actually works, as mine is obviously telling porkies.

20200805_175724.jpg

can anyone recommend a stud/cable/pipe finder that actually works,
No - such a thing does not exist.

They only work in test environments and demonstrations where the wall is 100% consistent throughout and the cables/pipes/other are all installed carefully at the expected depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back